Yesterday I turned 25! A quarter of a century! Holy Moly!
Here’s 25 important things I’ve learnt in 25 years;
- Don’t set your life on fire to keep somebody else warm. Don’t put your goals, dreams, ambitions on hold for someone who wouldn’t do the same for you. You’ll only end up resenting them and probably yourself.
- Eat wholesome, delicious, satisfying, nutritious foods! And fall in love with those kinds of foods and the way they make you feel.
- You can do anything if you want it bad enough, work hard enough for it, and put your mental strength towards it. You can get the job, run the extra kilometre, climb the mountain (be it literal or metaphorical). Get off your ass and at least try!
- Breathe deeply and consciously. When you’re stressed and overwhelmed, for goodness sake breathe. And when it’s calm? breathe some more.
- Meditation and exercise endorphins are SO good for your mental health whether you struggle with it or not!
- Mental health is a real problem, but it’s not a failure. Accept it as something to learn to live with and learn to cope accordingly. Learn your triggers, disconnect from toxic people and toxic practices and take care of your self. You are worth the care.
- You’re not as fat as you think you are.
- You can never control someone else’s actions. You can’t control the way they feel, the way they perceive things or their view on you. You can only control all of that within yourself.
- Read more! Read lots of different books. Fiction, non-fiction, Biographies, self-help books! Eckhart Tolle is a genius.
Intelligence and insight is sexy.
- Don’t bake your precious self in the sun. If you’re like me and you’re fair and freckly (took me a long time to accept it and love it!) you WILL NOT TAN! So stop trying and just chuck on some fake tan. You are still beautiful and you look exactly the way you’re supposed to look! Freckles, curves, weird birthmarks and all. Sun baking gives you cancer and will age you into looking like a speckly, leathery couch. That being said, take care of your skin! It’s the largest organ of the body. Moisturise and drink water!
- Pick up your goddamn garbage! Care for the planet, do your part, recycle. If you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem.
- Stuff, things, money and status WILL NOT make you happy. The consumerism cycle is vast like a black hole. You need very little in your life. Experiences and relationships are priceless and worth investing your time and energy.
- Never feel guilty for living your life the way you want to! You only get one! There’s no rule book or one way to “do life”. Never feel guilty for not going to uni, not getting the husband, the house, the car, the kids, the six figure salary. If that’s not your path, then that’s OK! Live and love your personal truth.
- Pay it forward. Be kind and generous because it’s the right thing to do and feels good to do so. Karma is real and you never know when you’ll be the one in need of a helping hand. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
- Swallow your damn pride, say you’re sorry and admit when you’re wrong.
- Mistakes are a good thing. Learn from them and don’t beat yourself up over them! Life is full of ups and downs and it’s never Disney. Don’t let the fear of failure stop you from trying.
- If a man makes an inappropriate, sexist remark towards you or any other woman, call them out on it and tell them off for it. It’s ok to be a strong, powerful, intelligent, independent and opinionated woman.
- That being said, be NICE to other women!!! If we start tearing each other apart like so many of us do, it only allows men to do the same. Never slut shame, or mother shame or just plain out woman shame! Don’t attack other women for what they wear or how they look. I like the quote “Good for her! Not for me.”
- Volunteer! Either abroad or in your home country. See someone else’s struggle to put yours in perspective. Help people who need it the most especially if you’re in the position to do so. Do it selflessly.
- Try new activities! As we grow older we stop doing this for fear of looking stupid, failing or not being the best at a new skill right away! Try surfing, rock climbing,
learn to sew or to play an instrument. Continue to obtain new hobbies and skills!
- Spend less time on social media. Especially when you’re out with others. You’re living your life through a screen and it’s not real. Stop doing things to get “likes”, enjoy the moment for you, put the phone down and for god sakes talk to each other! You’re becoming ignorant, anti social assholes.
- Ask your friends and family “Are you ok?”. Hug your loved ones close and if you see they’re struggling, step in, help out, and follow-up.
- A vegetarian/vegan diet is not nearly as hard as you think it will be or that you’re told it will be. Try it. Cut down your meat consumption.
- Quality not quantity. In friends, in experiences, in possessions. Take care of those valuables and make them last.
- Age is just a number and this life is long and beautiful if you allow it to be.